Tuesday, January 23, 2007

A sad day indeed

A very good friend of mine passed away this weekend . Stu Blake was his name.
We had known each other from childhood and he was a well respected and loved individual. I know there are some of you out there that may know him, many will not.
I just got back from standing in line at his wake for over two hours, but I'm not complaining ; it was an honorto be there.
I got to talk with many old friends and heard hilarious stories about their memories of Stu. I am not stretching the truth when I say there was an estimate of close to 2000 people who came to pay their respects. He would have been amazed at all the fuss, but he would've been deeply touched.
The last time I got to talk with him was Christmas Eve. We laughed at the adventures we had gotten ourselves into and the things we had gotten out of together. He told me how much he appreciated having a friend like me - I said thank you; but in truth I was the one who was glad to be able to call him that.
He was not bitter for all that had happened, he never stopped fighting! His last words to his wife were " I never said "uncle" did I?" (his way of saying I never gave up.)
I felt compelled to write this in my blog because things seem to have a life of their own in cyberspace, and no one really goes away if they are remembered. I hope that Stu will be around forever; and Stu, if you read this- save a can of peanut brittle for me, OK?

3 Comments:

Blogger Jason D. Moore said...

Sorry for your loss...

10:32 AM  
Blogger Clayton said...

Thanks Jason,That means a lot to me right now.
Someone asked the rhetorical question " why do all the good poeple have to pass so young?"
I think that in the vacum of our loss, we see all the good they stood for and it inspires us to fill up that void with our own deeds. At least, that's what I hope happens.

12:07 PM  
Blogger Rick W said...

Hi, Reminds me what friends are for...to lay on our heart what is right and teach our minds how to forgive that which is not....sorry for the worlds and your loss...
Rick

4:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home