Monday, August 28, 2006

lessons learned

No photo for today; just a tale of how easy mistakes are to make during this digital age.
I had been working on an event this past week - close to 400 images worth. I finished the editing and enhancements late Sat. night- it was ready to send to the lab. I decided to get rid of the RAW files to make some space on my hard drive and hit "delete" - Because of where I had saved the tif finalized files ( in the the raw folder by mistake- you see where this is going, don't you?) I lost all the files I had worked on! I downloaded software that recovers files like this, but was only able to save 52 of them....
I normally don't make mistakes like this- as a matter of fact, it was the first time I EVER put a folder in a folder where it didn't belong - but mistakes happen when you're tired. I ALWAYS back up my raw files to DVD 1st thing before I do anything else with my CF Cards- so all was not lost; but the time it took to fix them all again was.
I share this with you as a "how not to do things" warning! things like this can happen to ANYBODY.
If anyone would like to comment and share their "mistakes" in the " comment" section - maybe it will help someone else see the error of their ways.....

3 Comments:

Blogger oncee said...

Digg has a story about this very issue: http://www.digg.com/linux_unix/How_to_recover_lost_files_after_you_accidentally_wipe_your_hard_drive

7:56 PM  
Blogger oncee said...

That didn't work. Let me try it again: http://www.digg.com/linux_unix/
How_to_recover_lost_files_after
_you_accidentally_wipe_your_
hard_drive

I swear it's a real url.

7:58 PM  
Blogger Clayton said...

Wow! That was a Great link! I bookmarked it for future reference....
By the way- the software I ended up using was called "recover" fancy huh?
I was only able to recover about 52 files- but it was a start...Lesson learned!

11:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home