Tuesday, February 05, 2008

The Moment it clicks...

Joe McNally's new book: the moment it clicks
Well, if you're a photographer, a wannabe photographer, or someone who's ever wanted to hold a camera; this book's for you.
I'm sure there will be posts galore saying wonderful things about it, and what can I possibly say that won't be said already?
fair enough- just read on anyway....
1) I just got my book yesterday and was up til midnight reading it.
2) I'm getting ready to start work today and wish I could re-read it!
That alone says it's a successful idea or book to me; when I can't shake it out of my mind.
Here's how it works:
Joe has an image that you've probably seen in a magazine or print somewhere that just blows your mind. On the next page next to it is the thought process of WHY he took the shot the way he did, and then a quote or thought that becomes the highlight ( notice I didn't say lesson ) or parable to the story-= in short the POINT behind the story AND the shot.
And you know what? the reason I'm not going to quote an exerpt from the book on my post? He says it much better than me!
I'm not going to say go out and buy the book ( RUN and buy the book- borow a copy- but not mine) because this book makes sense; commom sense at that - and it changes your perspective on photography while allowing you to keep your style.
There are plenty of books out there that we use as manuals, that tell us step by step HOW to do something; there are very few books out there that help us THINK for ourselves by example.
In short- this book makes a difference- It may well define a photographers mind.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Imagesmith said...

OK I'm sold. I'm gonna get it this weekend & I'll let ya know.

10:34 PM  
Blogger Clayton said...

Given your background, I think you will like it!

9:07 AM  
Blogger Linda said...

Hi Clayton and Tom,

You guys know Joe has a blog now, right?

http://www.joemcnally.com/blog/
Linda

9:55 AM  
Blogger Imagesmith said...

Gotta get it online I couldn't find it in town

9:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home